To assist with [Method 2 - How can I upload multiple document types against multiple records in one singular action?] article.
How to complete the renaming spreadsheet
The renaming process requires the inclusion of unique Employee ID numbers in the file names to ensure that the documents are automatically saved against the correct employee / contractor file when uploaded into enableHR.
The bulk upload process for method 2 uses a 'mapping' spreadsheet and zip file. The following requirements must be met:
- The 'mapping' spreadsheet must be correctly completed and correspond to the files contained in the zip file.
- The zip file must contain all of the corresponding documents to be uploaded into enableHR.
7. Open the “temp.zip” at the end of this article. Please note that this action may provide you with a warning. Select “Keep”, do not select "Discard".
8. The “temp.zip” file you have downloaded will most likely be in your “downloads” folder. Locate the file, right click and then select “Extract All”.
9. This will create a folder called "temp".
10. Copy the "Temp" folder from its current location (i.e. "downloads") to your “C:\ drive” root directory.
11. Open the file path to “C:\temp\All Folders”.
For the next step, it is assumed that all your business' historical employee / contractor files are stored into individual folders which contain the employment documents for each respective employee.
12. Copy all of your existing employment document folders from their current location to “C:\temp\All Folders”.
After this step is completed, you will need to be able to identify the new file path for each employee folder and document. An example of the new file path for an example employee folder would be "C:\temp\All Folders\Bruce Willis" and the file path for this employee's Employment Contract would be "C:\temp\All Folders\Bruce Willis\Employment Contract.pdf".
13. In the "C:\temp" file path, select the batch file "Run this batch to make a txt with all filenames", right click and then select “Run as Administrator”.
14. After running the batch file, a new text file will be created and appear in “C:\temp” called “EmployeeFileNames.txt”
15. Open the text file "EmployeeFileNames.txt". The first few rows (listing only folder names) can be deleted or ignored. Copy only the file names relating to the employee's documents.
16. Open the Excel file "Bulk Import File Rename Spreadsheet.xlsx" and paste the information copied from the step above into cell A2 (see screenshot below).
Please note that the image below is of the "Bulk Import File Rename Spreadsheet.xlsx" document:
How to complete the 'mapping' spreadsheet
17. Open the spreadsheet titled “Bulk Import Mapping Spreadsheet Template” contained in the zip folder that you have just downloaded (please see Step 7 of this article).
You will need to populate this spreadsheet as per the following instructions.
18. Document Pathway (File Path) - This process is telling enableHR the file locations of each individual document. Open the Excel file "Bulk Import File Rename Spreadsheet.xlsx", copy all cells in Column C (pictured in Step 16) and paste only the text by using the "special - Values (V)" paste option to Column A in "Bulk Import Mapping Spreadsheet Template.xls" (pictured below).
Please note that the image below is taken from the"Bulk Import Mapping Spreadsheet Template.xls" document.
19. Employee IDs - You will need to assign each document to the corresponding enableHR Employee ID number.
For the bulk upload function to work, each individual document will need to be assigned to an employee as per their Employee ID number which should already be contained within enableHR (this is typically done during the employee import process. Please see How Can I Create A New Employee? article for more information).
Maximise the “Record Export CSV” spreadsheet (this was created during step 3). Select the Employee ID for the first employee, paste into cell B2 then copy down the rows for all of that employee's documents. Repeat this step for every employee / candidate.
There is also the option to complete this step using internal ID numbers. An internal ID is a unique ID that enableHR automatically generates for each employee record. It can be used as a unique record identifier, in the absence of an "Employee ID". It is however recommended that Employee IDs are used to automate enableHR instead of internal IDs.
20. Document Types - Each document type will need to be assigned to the corresponding document type code (e.g. EC – Employment Contract, DOC – Other Document). Please refer to the document types article for a list of the codes for enableHR, or to the bottom part of this page for further reference on document types listing.
Maximize the "All Document Types Listing" spreadsheet contained within the ZIP folder. Copy the relevant codes and paste into Column C of the "Bulk Import Spreadsheet Template.xls". You will need to complete this action for every row.
21. When the “Bulk Import Mapping Spreadsheet Template.xls” spreadsheet is complete, click “Save” in order to save your mapping spreadsheet in the same zip file.
How to upload the documents and 'mapping' spreadsheet
22. Go to “C:\temp\All Folders” and hold the “Shift” key and select all of your employee document folders.
23. Right click and then select “Send to Compressed (zipped} Folder”. The zip file created will be one of your existing folder names. You can keep this file name or you can rename it. In this example we have renamed the zip file to "All Employees Folders.zip".
24. Go to "Account Settings" within enableHR and then select "Bulk Upload". At the bottom of the page under the "Email Result To" field, select the blue text that reads "show options to upload a mapping spreadsheet".
25. Select the "Version" type and then select the document "Status" you want all employee documents to be allocated to when uploaded. Options are: "1 - Complete Copy", "2 - Executed Copy" or "3 - Unsigned Copy".
26. Enter your email address in the "Email Result To:" field. The email recipient will receive an email once the upload is complete.
27. For the "Spreadsheet" field, select the "Choose File" button then "Browse" to “C:\temp\Bulk Import Mapping Spreadsheet Template.xlsx”. Select the “Open” button.
28. For the "Zip File" field, select the "Choose File" button then browse to “C:\temp\All Folders\ (File name of your zip file)”. Select the “Open” button.
29. Select the "Upload" button. This task runs in the background so you will be returned to your homepage.
30. You should receive a status email with the results of the upload.
31. Your employee files should now be uploaded against each respective employee record within enableHR.